Wednesday, August 13, 2014

When Giving Hurts So Good!


Today we had a “day of giving” we were encouraged to consider giving sacrificially.  The idea is that you love some THING a lot that maybe you don’t own it, but it owns you.  We were not MADE to give but encouraged to. 

 
We were told on Friday that we would have this time on Wednesday and that we should pray about it.  The only thing that I could think of that would actually be a sacrifice to give is my absolute favorite dress.  I prayed about it and felt that I didn’t have to give it away.  But a couple of other items came to mind and I gave them pretty freely.  But God was still working on me. 
 

We are learning how to hear God.  This includes just listening.  So many times we “quiet” the Holy Spirit when we are prompted to say something or do something.  We reason it away thinking that it’s just a stupid passing thought.  But being in a furnace these days with all of the amazing people surrounding me at YWAM Denver, we are all constantly encouraged.  Encouraged to listen, encouraged the give, encouraged to act. 

 
Today many people gave away their most precious possessions.  I’m not talking just dresses and shirts and scarves (though many of those were given).  But think even bigger. 
 
Someone gave their wedding ring.

Someone gave an engagement ring.

More than one person gave away their laptop computer.

Precious jewelry with deep meaning, MP3 players, purses, cameras, toys, shoes and so much more!

Some of us committed to give money both now and later.  Those of us holding on to our money tightly, painfully let it go to people who probably needed it more.  Many tears were shed.

 
I was blown away when I was given two gifts.  I went into the event expecting nothing because I really need nothing.  But A staff member called me up within the first 10 minutes!  He gave me a beautiful antique looking globe.  He also gave kind words and encouragements to go along with it.  Thanks Steph!  Later, a teammate called me up and gave me little shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrush as well as $100!  I was blown away as she confirmed that God would take care of me.  That He is in all of the little details.  That was the confirmation that I needed to give away some money of my own.  I painfully dipped into my “savings” that I wasn’t supposed to touch.  I gave away money meant for my future.  It was a big step in trust.  Trusting that God will completely take care of me.  Trusting that His plan is bigger than my own!  Trusting that my future is already taken care of by the One that freely gives (and takes away).
 

Whew.  Big day!  Its always such a blessing to give.  Praise God for all of the good gifts that He gives and for how he has blessed both the giver and receivers today.  May we all live out a life of generosity and TRUST!

 
I’m hoping that this might inspire you.  Say a little prayer and ask God how you can be generous today!  Giving hurts… so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment