Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Deeper Thoughts: A Horse and His Boy (part 2)

Here is my most favorite part of the entire book (A Horse and His Boy by C.S.Lewis).  For it speaks a little to the necessity of heartache.  The purpose of pain.  A small glimpse of God's character and seeing that His ways are so much higher than our ways and His thoughts higher than our thoughts!

(Shasta told Aslan of his poor life and recent struggles)

"I do not call you unfortunate," said the Large Voice.
"Don't you think it was bad luck to meet so many lions?" said Shasta.
"There was only one lion," said the Voice.
..."How do you know?"
"I was the lion."  And as Shasta gaped with open mouth and said nothing, the Voice continues. "I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis.  I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time.  And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."
"Then it was you who wounded Aravis?"
"It was I."
"But what for?"
"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers.  I tell no one any story but his own."
"Who are you?" asked Shasta.
"Myself," said the Voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook; and again "Myself," loud and clear and gay; and then the third time "Myself," whispered so softly you could hardly hear it, and yet it seemed to come from all round you as if the leaves rustled with it.

I love this passage for so many reasons!  The main reason is that just before, Shasta is speaking about all of the woes and worries of his life.  How he was an orphan found and used as a slave.  How he was chased by lions over and over.  How he has now lost his friends and has no idea where he is going... but "The Voice" gives very little explanation, but enough to know that He was there all along.  The things even seen with a negative eye, have actually been made more clear.  After speaking with "The Voice" Shasta comes to a new understanding.

Often, we have to wait to understand exactly what God is doing in our lives.  It can all look rather dreary.  But in the end, when God shows us our story... we can only look back in awe.

If you want a biblical story to compare, take a closer look at Moses (in Exodus).  He too, was put in a basket set into the river and drifted to a new home, though not as a slave, but a prince.  And it is in Exodus 3 that God speaks to Moses and calls Himself "I Am".

So often we question God.  Even now in my own circumstances I'm left asking "why?"  But in the end I am left still praising.  Romans 11:33-36 sums it up quite well:
33Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments,
and his paths beyond tracing out!
34“Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?”j
35“Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay them?”k
36For from him and through him and for him are all things.
           To him be the glory forever! Amen.

Part One of Thoughts on A Horse and His Boy... click Here!

1 comment:

  1. And that "myself" repeated three times - I am who I am. Gives me shivers

    ReplyDelete